How can I create a top menu panel?

Platform: sparc solaris 8 and sun's gnome 2.0 distribution.

We have occasional problems where, either by accident or by
misunderstanding, users remove the top menu panel from their
desktop.

We've even had a couple of cases where it almost appears that the panel
disappeared over a weekend while the user was logged off and out of the
office.

Right now, our approach is to remove all gnome related directories and
log in fresh.

However, this removes the user's various customizations, causing
frustration for the user.

Is there some other method of creating the top panel?
--
Tcl - The glue of a new generation.  <URL: http://wiki.tcl.tk/ >
Larry W. Virden <mailto:lvirden cas org> <URL: http://www.purl.org/NET/lvirden/>