Controlling titles/mini-icons in panel drawers

(I asked this a few months ago, but the list was almost dead then. Now that there is more activity, I'd like to try asking again.)

Of the various look-and-feel changes I've had to accept since moving to Gnome 2 (I kept my desktop at 1.X well past 2.0 and into 2.2), is that when I add a launcher to a drawer I've created on the panel, only the icon displays.

For example, at work I have a lot of machines I regularly ssh into. So I had a drawer I'd added, to which I created launchers for all the machines I access. Under Gnome 1.X, the drawer appeared akin to a pop-up menu, with mini-icons and the name I'd given the particular launcher, i.e.:

	[] host1
	[] host2
	[] host1.domain2

However, under the Gnome 2 panel, I only get the larger icons, and no text label at all. This makes the remote-host drawer a pain, because I have to hover the mouse over an item until Gnome shows the tooltip, before I know if I have the right item.

I've been all over the preferences dialogs for both the panel in general and the drawers specifically, and have not seen an option to restore the desired behavior. Is it no longer available, or am I just missing something?

Randy
Randy J. Ray        Campbell, CA    http://www.rjray.org   rjray blackperl com

Silicon Valley Scale Modelers: http://www.svsm.org