Remote Sound in Gnome 2.2?

I have several users on Fedora Core 1 machines running as X terminals logging into a RH9 server (Gnome 2.2) via XDMCP. I have configured the machines to run esd out of inittab. If I configure the esound plugin of xmms to point to the right IP address I get sound. So that much is working. However, I do not get Gnome sounds. What am I missing? (My users want to have a sound play when evolution gets new email.)

I've googled and googled and asked on shrike-list redhat com and fedora-list redhat com but have gotten no replies. Any direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve Bergman