What actually happens at logout?

I've been upgrading (and probably breaking...) various libraries on a Slackware 9.1 system. Unfortunately, the logout button in gnome now doesn't appear to do anything and then after some timeout (1 minute, possibly), exits pretty ungracefully. I'm sure that this is a kill, as logging back in, lots of windows come up from ~5 logins ago.

What I want to know is whether errors get logged somewhere, so that I can see how I've broken things, or better still, what command is run, so I can log them myself.

Thanks in advance,

Rupert