Re: BUG: gnome terminal horrible performance

On Sat, 2004-31-07 at 13:50 +0200, gabor wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 31, 2004 at 09:12:46AM +0100, Telsa Gwynne wrote:
> > On Sat, Jul 31, 2004 at 09:45:47AM +0200 or thereabouts, Carsten Weinberg wrote:
> >

> i just cant understand why the gnome devels dont prioritize this issue.

Simple answer: they have no spare time and get paid to program features
for the majority. We're not the majority.

> for example, i know 2 my friends who use kde (they're programmers).

Most programmers I know don't use either! XFCE is really nice, but they
seem to like fluxbox.

> yes, i would also be happy to help track down the problem.
> i mean i will be happy to test anything that the devels want to test.
> but that bug is already there for 5months, priority:urgent
> and severity:critical , and status is still NEW. :))

Yeah, but what is the cause of the slowness? Find the cause and there
will be a patch. Thats how OSS works (un)fortunately.

> summary: there are other terminal apps that do all that gnome-term does
> (ok, except the accessibility stuff maybe), and they do
> it a lot faster.that means that faster displaying is possible.
> but (imho) the gnome-devs don't think about this problem
> as a critical one. and imho that's wrong.

What would be nice is if we had more developers! To tell you the truth,
if you were to find a dev on IRC, and were to start asking him questions
as you dug about gnome-terminal code, you'd find they aren't quite as
snobbish as they are made out to be. If you got the problem half solved,
they'd probably get motivated enough to finish it for you.

> gabor

I'm just trying to help!

Cheers,
Ryan