non-session managed programs]

Hi,

When I log into Gnome I run a short shell script at startup as a
non-managed program from the session properties menu.  The script is an
infinite loop which periodically makes a sceure ftp connection to
another machine.

However, when I log out of Gnome the script is not killed off as I
expected.  I expected all of my processes to be terminated at logout.
Consequently, if I login again I then have two copies of the script
running...the original one and another one due to the second login.

How can I make sure that Gnome kills off all of my processes at logout?

Thanks,

Ian