gnome window goes black for no reason with CADENCE tools

Hi,

Firstly, I would like to explain a little bit of the background related to my problem.

In my company we are trying to replace SUN workstations
with cheaper REDHAT  LINUX workstation.
Our pilot run went through relatively smoothly. We had few minor issues to solve. One issue is still open and it became a major problem for the deployment of the linux desktops/workstation.

Our main usage of the linux workstation is to design chips, In order to do that, we are using a wide variety of the CAD tools. One of the tools is CADENCE tool. Because of some historical reasons,
CADENCE tools need 8-bit pseudo color environment in order to run.

So, this was the first challenge to solve. The solution is relatively simple. We had to replace original video card with the video card which supports "hardware overlay" ( whatever that means).MATROX G550 is such a card. So far so good.

Now we can run our CADENCE tools with almost no glitch. I said "almost"... so... this is the main
reason for this letter.

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION:
The main "mixed signal" CADENCE tool DOES NOT run yet natively on LINUX. We have to use SUN Solaris server to run it and we display the result on LINUX box using, of course, networking capabilities of the X11 server (XFree86 on linux box). The only problem we have with this approach is "blackening" of any CADENCE window when we click on gnome panel.

Clicking on gnome panel means, for example, selecting another desktop and then going back to the original one.

Whenever we do that, all CADENCE windows go black. The only way to make black windows normal is to
move a mouse between two black CADENCE windows.

This problem is there ONLY with GNOME desktop. KDE desktop works fine. Unfortunately, KDE desktop has OTHER issues with CADENCE. We have decided to standardize on GNOME, because the newer SUN Solaris workstation support GNOME as well.

It seems to us that gnome panel does not send to the X11 server request for "refresh" whenever user goes from the desktop to panel and back. Is there a solution for this ? Or, perhaps, workaround ? Is there a rpm package with updated gnome ?

TECHNICAL INFO:
workstation: DELL Precision 360 with MATROX G550 video card OS: REDHAT 8.0
desktop: GNOME gnome-desktop-2.0.6-4 (standard from the stock RH8)

No, we can not migrate to RH9 or Fedora or RH enterprise workstation. The main reason for this is availability of the CAD tools.

No, VNC is not the solution either

Any help is MORE than very very appreciated

Igor

P.S: the re is another solution. We could use MS WINDOWS XP + hummingbird EXCEED
Believe me, WE DO NOT WANT TO DO THAT... WE WOULD LIKE to stay on LINUX