re: Rythmbox

If it compiled, he got past that. He had a gconf error related to
rhythmbox settings.

Basically, rhythmbox is wonderful if you don't count on your song
database not getting trashed at times. It used to be (it's improved now)
that funky ID3 tags caused it to crash and not even start unless you
removed all the rhythmbox gconf stuff, and it's XML files under
~/.gnome/rhythmbox or whatever.

Maybe you should just try creating that gconf key in gconf-editor?

I suppose if that didn't fly you could back up ~/.gconf* and ~/.gnome*
(while no gconf or gnome processes are running) and remove the various
levels of the rhythmbox stuff (~/.gnome/rhythmbox, or just the rhythmbox
gconf files, or both), and trying to get it to re-seat itself.

Sorry, but it just seems less than robust at times. I still like it from
time to time, and I am not trying to say it sucks at all. It's
ambitious, and it's cool. I'm just trying to tell it like it is.