Multimedia Keys Daemon active

Man, just when I think I can stop calling myself a newbie, along comes
something that I KNOW is simple that I don't get.  :(

So, I was just looking for a way to control the default NUMLOCK
condition on start up and, knowing that it was not the place to look, I
selected DesktopSettings>Multimedia Keys.  The dialog came up and I
closed it after verifying that it was not where I needed to look.

Now, every time I go into X, the freakin AMCE daemon is active and
sitting in my notification area.  I killed it with the System Monitor
and restarted only to find it still showing up.  So I have two
questions:

1) How do I tell a startup process like that to stop being a startup
process?

2) How /do/ I alter the NUMLOCK key default condition (I want it on by
default, but it is off instead)?

So much for graduating from newbie status by the end of 2003....

-Tom Caudron