Re: Gnome with homedirs over slow NFS

On Fri, 2004-01-23 at 16:43, Sean Millichamp wrote:
> I have about 9 workstations running Red Hat Linux 9 GNOME desktops over
> a T1 (1.54 Mbps) WAN link with NFS mounted home directories.
>
> The users know that it won't run as well as if it were directly
> connected (obviously) but have been complaining about it being so slow
> as to be unusable at times and I don't think that it should be that bad.
>
> I did a tcpdump of the network traffic and the majority seems to be
> GNOME/Nautilus related NFS traffic where it seems to be stat()ing a
> number of files repeatedly.
>
> I haven't spent a whole lot of time digging into this yet but I did some
> Google searches and came up empty handed.
>
> Is there anyone else in this situation?  Is there a way to disable the
> frequent stating of files?  I'm willing to give up some of the features
> of GNOME if it means generating less NFS traffic to the homedirs...

There is no "state random file all the time" preference you can turn
off, no. And nobody can really help you with you problem unless you
specify a bit more details, such as what files are stat:ed, and when.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a one-legged arachnophobic assassin searching for his wife's true killer.
She's a scantily clad hypochondriac fairy princess in the witness protection
program. They fight crime!