Legal Stock Icons

First off, sorry if this is the wrong list. I couldn't seem to find one that matched exactly the question.

I'm not sure exactly where it was I found it, but I got hold of the gnome "stock" icons in a tar/gzip|bz2. Anyways, I'm developing a Java application for a client of mine and used the icons in the program to make it pretty (and usable). This software is not yet finished or released, especailly because I do not know where this stands from a legal standpoint. I did not recieve a copy of the GPL with the icons, but I think it's safe to assume they are under the GPL? If so, what do I need to do to comply with the license? Only a few people will be using the application and I'm perfectly willing (and possilby obligated?) to give them the source with the application. They are paying me to write this application (amongst other things) for them. Do I need to change the contract specifying that I am charging them for implementation instead or is there something else I need to do before I can release this?

Again, sorry if this is the wrong list, but I'm really kind of lost here, and the last thing I want is to dishonor the license for these icons.

Let the new MSN Premium Internet Software make the most of your high-speed experience. http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-us&page=byoa/prem&ST=1