gdm to GNOME session aborts

OK, final attempt to see if I can find a solution to my problem here before I give up on GNOME for good ....

The issue is that after entering the session type of GNOME in gdm and log in, it wont start up in GNOME. Instead, it goes to TWM. I have been through all the gdm and GNOME configuration and logs files that I can find or referred to in my searchs, and can't find anything out of place or that solves the problem. Log files don't indicate any error occuring that I can find.

I was using GNOME fine, but then for a program I used I needed to update the graphics driver to get better performance, and to get that I needed to get XFree86 updated. Once I did that GNOME sessions wouldn't start. Going back to the old driver etc isn't an option as I need the performance/acceleration to be able to use the software. The driver etc provides the expected performance for the software using TWM.

If I delete all the .gnome* etc directories that are installed in the home directory, only the .gnome2 appears after I try to start a session. May be that gives an indication of where the issue is or when it encounters a problem.?

Any suggestions?  Ideas?  Anything?

Does a "bribe" of $50 to the GNOME foundation get anyone interested in helping out? ;-)

Catch ya,

Dr. Dallas Warren
Research Fellow
Department of Pharmaceutical Biology and Pharmacology
Victorian College of Pharmacy, Monash University
381 Royal Parade, Parkville VIC 3010
dallas warren vcp monash edu au
+61 3 9903 9083