Re: Gnome: Black Desktop and Icons missing

Am Di, den 06.01.2004 schrieb Samuel um 23:30:
> Hello,

Hi Samuel,

> After starting up, I have a black desktop background only, and all the
> Icons except for the "Home" icon are missing (also in the menu). Also,
> while Gnome is starting, the mouse speeds up *a lot*, it's almost
> impossible to use it any more.

Mouse can be fixed in Desktop-Preferences/Mouse, icons by installing
gnome-themes

> Trying to start any configuration tools, I get the following
> errormessage: "The default theme schemas could not be found on your
> system.  This means that you probably don't have metacity installed, or
> that your gconf is configured incorrectly."

see above

> I have tried to "apt-get --purge remove" gnome, metacity and gconf, and
> reinstalled everything. But the problem still persists. I have just
> upgraded to Gnome 2.4, but all to no avail, so I guess it must be a
> configuration problem.

no, simply a 2.0 to 2.2 and above migration problem

> I have already tried to create a complete new user (with an empty
> homedir) but that didn't help either. It happens also if I start Gnome
> as root.

Hope that helped.

Regards,
  Sven
--
Sven Herzberg <herzi gnome-de org> · Jabber: herzi jabber org
GNOME Deutschland                  · http://www.gnome-de.org/