Re: unkillable processes

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004, Jason A. Pfeil wrote:

> That is more than likely correct.  It is also extremely likely that the
> bug is in whatever device driver is in charge of hardware which the
> process is using.  I have forgotten the details of this particular
> process.  What is it?

The unkillable processes are nautilus and magicdev.  I will propose the
theory that actually magicdev is unkillable since nautilus is the parent
process and is presumably waiting for magicdev.  Would this make nautilus
unkillable as well?  Is magicdev what provides the menu of removable
devices to mount/unmount?  I have a USB card reader, USB CDRW, as well
as IDE CDROM and standard floppy, and a USB digital camera which becomes
a USB drive when connected.  These all show up when I right click on
desktop and select 'Disks'.  They even show up from LTSP desktops.
I wouldn't want that in a large company, but it is convenient at home
since we all share the devices.  (So how do you enable/disable
allowing non-console users to mount/umount removable devices?)

So perhaps magicdevice is tickling a bug in a USB or ide-cd driver.
How would I find out?

Process listing and parameters were posted previously.

--
			Stuart D. Gathman <stuart bmsi com>
	"[Microsoft] products are even less buggy than others, in terms of