language per user

Does anyone listening to this list know how to specify the language on a
user basis in GNOME?  I have looked through all the preferences and system
settings menus and found a GUI which only can set the system-wide
language.  The add a new user GUI has no widget to set the user's
language, because it only updates /etc/passwd, right?, which has nothing
to do with language.  Unfortunately, I know of no other system files
having to do with users, yet.  (Are there any?)  I entirely believe it
possible, but so far to me it is just some unlocatable, random line buried
in the gconf XML gibberish somewhere.

Justin