Re: Launch bash script using desktop icon?

On Tue, 2004-02-24 at 11:18, Larry W. Virden wrote:
> From: "Andrei Yurkevich" <urruru ru ru>
>
> > You should run it in terminal. Change dommand to "gnome-terminal -e
> > /home/foo/script.sh"
>
> Is this a new requirement?  In my case, the script had no requirement
> to run in a terminal, so I didn't tell the creation step to use a terminal,
> and my script ran fine without a terminal.

No, Andrei was probably assuming that the script didn't have a GUI and
that it's desirable to see whatever the script outputs to stdout.  If
this isn't the case, then the script doesn't need to be run inside a
terminal.

Do note that hard-coding "gnome-terminal -e" in the Exec field is not
the best way to open a script in a terminal, if that's what one wants to
do.  Instead, one should add the line

Terminal=true

to the .desktop file.

--