Re: Gnome 2.4.2 panel problems with Xinerama

On Sat, 2004-02-21 at 14:39 +0000, John D. Giachero wrote:

> I'm running gnome 2.4.2 under gentoo linux, and, after a recent
> update, have a panel problem I can't resolve.
>
> My previous setup was a top panel, a bottom panel and a right-side
> panel, which would show up at the right of my total viewport;
> i.e., at the right edge of my 2nd screen in a Xinerama setup.
>
>      --------------      ----------------
>      |            |      |              |
>      | primary    |      | 2nd screen   |
>      |            |      |              |
>      --------------      ----------------
>                  ^                     ^
>      panel is here                     ^
>                        it should be here
>
> After a recent upgrade (emerge -u, based on available update in
> the gentoo ebuild database), my right-side panel now appears on
> the right side of my primary screen, rather than all the way to
> the right, which is what I want to see.
>
> I tried to middle-click and drag it over to the correct location,
> but it will not move.
>
> I kind of miss the 'old style' panel structure, with different
> panel types that were easier to move around the screen. :)

<aol>me too!</aol>

While it doesn't help, I'm running panel 2.5.5 from gnome 2.5.5 (built
from garnome on debian), so this isn't a gentoo issue, and may be an
issue in the 2.6.x timeframe.

Regarding the dragging of the panel, it's worth noting that it doesn't
snap to the edge when the cursor reaches the right of the first screen
(where the panel ends up) .. it snaps when the cursor reaches the right
of the second screen (where the OP wants the panel to snap) - but the
panel itself simply lands on the wrong screen.

I can't find anything in bugzilla matching this, so you may like to
check for yourself and then file one.

 Shaun.

(It's 6am and coffee's still brewing - this is my excuse for the
readability of that second paragraph - sorry)