RE: CDE workspace manager to GNOME workspace switcher

What window manager are you using?
In the CDE environment the wm I use is dtwm.

How did you get the applications and GUIs to go into differing workspaces?
In the CDE environment - through the use of shell scripts I navigate from one
workspace to another automatically.  Here is the dtksh script code:

***
XtInitialize TOPLEVEL dtWsTest DtWsTest "$0" "$@"
if DtWsmGetWorkspaceList $(XtDisplay "-" $TOPLEVEL) \
                          $(XRootWindowOfScreen "-" $(XtScreen "-" $TOPLEVEL)) \
                          WS_LIST;
then
   IFS=,
   for item in $WS_LIST;
   do
      XmGetAtomName NAME $(XtDisplay "-" $TOPLEVEL) $item
      if test $NAME = $1
         then DtWsmSetCurrentWorkspace $TOPLEVEL $item
      fi
   done
else
   echo "Unable to get workspace list"
   exit -1
fi
******

Other cshell scripts call on this block of code and passed the ws number
argument - ei.  ws3
Once the code is exercised, it automatically switches to the desire workspace.

clear as mud huh!

I hope I answered your question - hector