CDE workspace manager to GNOME workspace switcher

Hola everyone,
Two days ago I was introduced to GNOME 2.2 on Solaris 9 - ITS A KUWL THING!
My job is to make sure our demo behaves the same on GNOME as on CDE.
The demo works in this manner - click on the "start demo" icon and all the
applications and GUI's are loaded and executed in their own workspace.  This
automation involves several cshell scripts.

Here is my SOS.  In one of the cshell scripts I call on two CDE functions to
navigate from one workspace to another.  The functions are
DtWsmGetWorkspaceList( ) and DtWsmSetCurrentWorkSpace( ).

Does anyone know what GNOME workspace switcher functions map to the above CDE
wsm functions?
If so, where are they?
Or, is there another way I can accomplish the demo automation task?

One more thing.  Am I correct in assuming that each GNOME workspace CANNOT have
its own backdrop like CDE....

any info will be greatly appreciated - THX!!!

hector b