Re: Are there any GNOME specific performance tools?

On Tue, 2004-02-17 at 09:15, Chris Rouch wrote:

> I think, unfortunately, that's just the way it is. gnome 2.4 seems to be
> designed to look pretty rather than be fast. I'm hoping this will be
> addressed in 2.6. While the performance is good on my desktop (AMD
> 2800+, 1Gb ram, so it should be!), it was unacceptable on my laptop
> (750MHz pentium II, 256Mb ram), so I ended up switching back to fvwm for
> my desktop and just using the gnome clients.

Given that I ran 2.0 on a machine worse off than that (same RAM, 400mhz
CPU, NFS homedir) and it was as snappy as could be, I would wager your
problem wasn't GNOME itself.

> You could try picking a 'fast' theme - one that minimises eye candy and
> thus the cpu cycles needed to redraw the screen when you change
> desktops. You could also try getting rid of any applets that you can't
> live without. You could try changing metacity to sawfish (I don't know
> if it's any faster, but IMO it's more 'non-newbie-friendly')

I don't think Sawfish is any faster; I wouldn't be surprised if it's
just the opposite.  Not sure on that tho.

So far as the theme, it's not quite so important to pick a "fast" one as
it is to just not pick a slow one.  Lots of themes are very poorly made
and are, thus, very slow.

AwesomePlay Productions, Inc.