Gnome is very slow

I have posted a simular problem before and while the problem seemed to go
away, I later went into nautilus and attempted to configure the system,
within nautilus the problem was still present.  However the desktop was
working otherwise.  The problem was and is 30 second and longer delays from
clicking on an item untill it executes or even responds.
I am back because I finally found mcc and configured things there,  no
network or servers were touched.  I did switch window managers from
metrocity(sp) to gdm.  At the time it didnt seem to switch because it
complained about another manager running, on subsequent login however gdm
was running and everything had 30sec or longer delays.  This makes gnome
unusable.
I dont know where the problem is but I suspect it may be in X. But KDE
dosent exibit any such behaviour so that should mean that X is ok.

Help?

Regards;
Hoyt