RE: gnome-list digest, Vol 1 #1711 - 14 msgs

From: Telsa Gwynne <hobbit aloss ukuu org uk>:
On Tue, Feb 10, 2004 at 02:01:55AM -0500 or thereabouts, David Murphy wrote: > Hi folks. I'm running a Linux From Scratch system. This problem plagued me
> for a while at Gnome 2.2, and it's still around after an upgrade to 2.4.
> When I execute gnome-terminal, it pulls up a terminal window, but then
> gives me nothing. The cursor blinks away at the upper-left corner of the
> window, but I never get a prompt, and it won't accept any input. Executing
> vte has identical symptoms (though a different-looking window). This
> happens on my non-root user, but the terminals work just fine as root.
> Sounds like a permission problem, but examining a few obvious suspects
> produced nothing. I found a similar problem discussed long ago in the list
> archives, but I didn't get anything out of that.
> Basically, to start with, can someone give me a brief list of possibilites
> for file permission problems?

To narrow it down: does it happen with konsole (KDE's terminal) and
with xterm too? If these are not on your panel menus, you could
start them via the "command line applet" or whatever it's called.

Ahah. Ok, I don't have konsole, but xterm works. (Why didn't I try that before? *sigh*)

The long-ago one might have been something to do with the
permissions on /dev/ptmx on Linux 2.2 systems? Should be
666 (owner.group: root.root). It's still that on my Linux 2.4
machine. If you have LinuxFromScratch, then does that mean
you have a 2.6 kernel? I don't know anything about changes
in that.

Not heard of the /dev/ptmx one cropping up for a year or so,
but I have vague memories of it from some time ago.

Well, this was the LFS book from a year or so ago, using the 2.4.20 kernel. I've been thinking about upgrading, and this might be a good time, as I've just noticed some funny business in my kernel config. I had decided (rather arbitrarily) to not go with the Unix98 devpts system. However, for some unknown reason I enabled it (CONFIG_UNIX98_PTYS) in the kernel, but without enabling CONFIG_DEVPTS_FS as it says you're supposed to do.

So, although I don't see why vte/gnome-term shouldn't work if xterm works, I suppose it's better that I get my kernel straightened out anyway. (Besides, I wanna mess with video4linux 2 :) )

> Another bug from 2.2 (haven't tested it in 2.4)... as non-root, if I opened
> two terminal windows and then closed one, Gnome would die, and gdm would
> recycle to the login screen. Don't know if that's related or not.

Erm, wow. That sounds like an X crash to me. At least, an X crash
is often what causes the symptoms of "GDM recycles to the login
screen": GDM checks to see whether X is running. If X is not
running, then GDM restarts it, and throws up the graphical login
screen. Hence, in the wake of a crash, GDM restarts X.

Update: that one apparently went away in the upgrade to 2.4.

Thanks,
-David Murphy

Let the advanced features & services of MSN Internet Software maximize your online time. http://click.atdmt.com/AVE/go/onm00200363ave/direct/01/