screensaver question

Hello,

I've googled all over and can't find an answer to this.

How can I fix the gnome screen saver so that it uses up the entire
screen?
I have a laptop that does 1024x768, and if the screensaver kicks in on
that, it looks fine.
But I also dock my laptop at work, and the external monitor does
1280x1024. When the screensaver kicks in here, it only uses 1024x768 of
the the screen, leaving the remaining desktop still visible.

I'm running FreeBSD 4.9, but I also had this same problem when I ran
RedHat 9 and Fedora.
When I use KDE (which I don't even have installed anymore), the
screensaver worked fine.

Thanks for any input/advice/answer.

-DW