Problem after Installation

I had installed Gnome and it used to work fine, after
my file system got moved -- I had to install it again
and this time though the installation went fine. When
I logged into the Gnome Desktop. All I got was a
console, a terminal, a clock instead of the
traditional gnome Desktop.

Can anyone tell me what i must have done wrong. I have
a feeling that I am not sourcing the right file.

Kindly advise.

Regards

Venkatesh