Re: All terminal windows close

Hi,

[Please try not to top-reply...]

On Wed, 2004-08-04 at 16:23 +0000, Saurabh Barve wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I did 'rpm -Va * > /tmp/altered_files.txt. Nothing showed up in the
> file. So, hopefully, none of the rpm's is corupted.
>
> I am able to do 'ls /usr/bin > somefile'. There is no problem with the
> file. I tried running ls for /usr/lib (which has just as many files as
> /usr/bin), but it scrolled without a problem. But 'ls /usr/bin' crashes
> all gnome-terminal windows.

If you can reproduce this systematically, please try to get a stack
trace of the crash and open a bug on <http://bugzilla.gnome.org/> on the
gnome-terminal product.

To get a stack trace, close all instances of gnome-terminal, open an
xterm (or any non-gnome-terminal terminal) and there say:

  gdb gnome-terminal
  <...gdb starts...>
  run

then make it crash following your steps, and when it crashes, gdb should
say something about a segmentation fault and give you a prompt. Then in
gdb say:

  bt full

This will give you a stack trace of the crash: please paste it on a bug
report.

For this to be most useful, you should have vte and gnome-terminal
compiled with debugging symbols. You'll find more information on how to
get a stack trace on <http://bugzilla.gnome.org/getting-traces.cgi>.

Without this information, it is close to impossible to know what the
problem is.

Cheers,

-- m

--
Mariano Suárez-Alvarez <msuarezalvarez arnet com ar>
http://www.gnome.org/~mariano