Re: BUG: gnome terminal horrible performance

On Sat, 2004-07-31 at 17:45, Carsten Weinberg wrote:
> Ryan McDougall wrote:
>
> >This is not really fair at all.
> >
> Well, this kind of ignorance is not only not fair its also not helpfull.
>
> Ryan, as it is gnome-terminal is unusable. Even on my very fast machine
> its much too slow.

Aargh.. just had to chime in... I use gnome-terminal every day for web
development - I still haven't found a vim replacement with good enough
syntax highlighting. I think it simply rocks.. I turn off the menubar
and don't use tabs. The slowest pc here is an XP2000+ and it handles it
beautifully. I really appreciate the anti-aliased fonts (I compile
freetype with bytecode enabled). I haven't used xterm or aterm in a long
time so I can't compare speed. I know the other terminals would be much
faster but they are not doing anywhere near the same amount of work..

So while it may be slower than xterm etc I love it. Also.. we don't
*have* to use the software that comes with gnome.. I use Galeon and
change all my prefs to make that the default browser, users who actually
use a terminal would know how to do this...

Daniel