Re: GNOME terminology question

On Wed, 2004-04-28 at 07:12 -0400, Larry W. Virden wrote:
> Yesterday, during a GNOME training class, a question came up about some
> GNOME terminology.  I am hoping that someone here can point me to
> discussions on the following topics.
>
> 1. When dealing with dialogs relating to gnome-panel , sometimes the word
> "Preferences" is used and sometimes the word "Properties" is used.  What
> is the best way to distinguish the difference for a non-technical user?
>
> 2. The completion interaction in GNOME when updating properties, preferences,
> and applications has been mentioned many time by our users (who are
> not programmers, in general).

1) This kind of issue is probably discusses in the Documentation Style
Guide (http://developer.gnome.org/documents/style-guide/book1.html),
which includes a section on vocabulary. If it does not, it probably
should, and you might contact the authors about it.

2) This is discusses in the HIG
(http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gup/hig/1.0/), specially in
http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gup/hig/1.0/windows.html#instant-apply and maybe elsewhere.

HTH,

-- m

--
Mariano Suárez-Alvarez <mariano gnome org>