Re: GNOME terminology question

On Wed, 2004-04-28 at 07:12 -0400, Larry W. Virden wrote:
> Yesterday, during a GNOME training class, a question came up about some
> GNOME terminology.  I am hoping that someone here can point me to
> discussions on the following topics.
> 1. When dealing with dialogs relating to gnome-panel , sometimes the word
> "Preferences" is used and sometimes the word "Properties" is used.  What
> is the best way to distinguish the difference for a non-technical user?
> 2. The completion interaction in GNOME when updating properties, preferences,
> and applications has been mentioned many time by our users (who are
> not programmers, in general).

1) This kind of issue is probably discusses in the Documentation Style
Guide (,
which includes a section on vocabulary. If it does not, it probably
should, and you might contact the authors about it.

2) This is discusses in the HIG
(, specially in and maybe elsewhere.

-- m

Mariano Suárez-Alvarez <mariano gnome org>