gdm & pam_console.

I've just installed gnome 2.6 via garnome on a red hat 9 system. When I
login on the console via the gnome 2.6 gdm I find that I cannot access a
number of devices (like /dev/mixer).
I did a little searching and I found that on red hat systems gdm calls
pam_console and these devices get their ownership changed if a user is
logging on at the console. This does not happen when I use gdm from
gnome 2.6. Is there some way to configure gdm to do this?
TIA,
--Frank