fonts on window maker and gnome

I'm not sure where to go with this...

I'm running some GNOME apps and Mozilla Thunderbird
(which was built with GTK2) on Slackware Linux 9
with Window Maker as my window manager.

When I use GNOME (Dropline GNOME 2.4) as my desktop
my fonts look fine. When I login using Window Maker
and try to run any GNOME application or Thunderbird
the fonts are too small. So I can bring up a GNOME
panel and change the fonts but the changes only last
for that Window Maker session. It gets pretty tiring
having to change the fonts every time!

So how can I keep the changes I make to my fonts?
Window Maker doesn't manage fonts but I'm not bringing
up all of the desktop either.

Thanks in advance,
--
Chris Conn