Setting toolbar icon size in gconf?

Hi,

I'd like to make my toolbar icons smaller. In gconf, there's a key
taking integer values, /desktop/gnome/interface/toolbar_icon_size. This
had <no value> set by default. Trying to change it to a several
different integers had no effect for me. Google and the gnome mailing
list archive, as well as the Gnome user and admin docs know nothing
about the isse.
Is this key unused and are there other means to achieve my goal? I'm
running Gnome 2.4.0

thanks a lot, M