Re: Disabling shut down/reboot for non-root users?

On Tue, 2003-09-23 at 21:48, Harold Martin wrote:
> how do I disable shut down and reboot (in both GNOME and gdm) for
> everyone but root (or everyone, is that's the only solution)?

On Red Hat, I believe you can do this by editing /etc/pam.d/halt (for
example) and removing the pam_console.so line that lets people at the
physical machine shut down. Of course they can still just unplug the
computer from the wall. ;-) Not sure if GNOME will notice this and
remove the reboot option though.

A simpler solution that GNOME might notice is just chmod go-x the
shutdown program.

Havoc