Re: [Stupid Question?] http://anoncvs.gnome.org/

On Mon, 2003-12-01 at 07:15, Mario Vukelic wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've just realized that browsing to http://anoncvs.gnome.org/ brings up
> the content of the KDE homepage, and even search on google for
> anoncvs.gnome.org AND kde finds  "KDEHomepage - Conquer your Desktop!"
> pointing to anoncvs.gnome.org as 4th hit. Does anybody care to explain?
> Is this some kind of in-joke?

There is no mystery (or conspiracy) here. The anoncvs.gnome.org name can
return a couple of different IP addresses when you look it up in DNS.
One of these is 138.100.8.6. If you do a reverse name lookup on this
address, it maps to a number of things including
kde-mirror.fi.upm.es. In other words, that machine is used for many
things, including being a KDE mirror and a GNOME anonymous CVS mirror.

Anonymous CVS requests go to port 2401, where you get the GNOME
repository. Web requests go to port 80 where, on that particular
machine, it is serving the KDE homepage. We cannot reasonably expect
people who mirror the respository to devote the whole machine to just
GNOME, so you will get disparities like this from time to time.

Cheers,
Malcolm