Metacity behavior when moving windows

I'm installing a LTSP network in a small news agency.  It's the
classical thin client setup; their machines can't run newer versions
of that popular OS and they're drowning under spam, viroses, etc.

We're using Gnome 2.4 as UI and I must say I'm impressed.  The system
is beautiful, intuitive, usable and well internationalized.  However,
I have a major complaint about Metacity.

I don't know about other countries, but in Brazil the most common
resolution is 800x600, followed by 640x480.  GNU systems are
attractive for giving value to these old PCs.  I understand the
reasons for keeping windows below the top border, but that makes the
WM unusable in our displays.  Most dialog boxes have the buttons in
the bottom, and they stay off-screen.  Since you can't move windows
up, you can't even see the buttons.

It's a shame, because Metacity would be perfect for this environment.
I'll be forced to use Sawfish, and as much as I like it, I wouldn't
like to expose its complexity to the already confused users.