Re: Notifications and ideas. (Not the notification/tray thing)

Hello,

This goal could be archieved without those annoying MICROS~1 -like notifications. :-)

GNOME could have a anti-focus-theft feature.

This would require changes to metacity, the wm spec and the task list.

Such a feature could be implemented like this:

- When a window is created:
	- IF the window is a transient dialog of the current application
		- THEN steal focus and raise it
	- ELSE, IF the user typed something in the last N miliseconds
		- the window is created minimized
		- its windowlist button flashes N times
		- after flashing, the button gets
		  a differentiated color, indicating
		  that it has flashed
	- ELSE
		- steal focus and raise it

- When an existing window requests raising and/or stealing the focus
	- IF the user typed something in the last N miliseconds
		- its windowlist button flashes N times
		- after flashing, the button gets
		  a differentiated color, indicating
		  that it has flashed
	- ELSE
		- steal focus and raise it

I think this would improve the user experience in GNOME, since those annoying apps would stop stealing the focus while we do the important stuff. Another good thing is that this does not require application support.

PS: No offence to GAIM. I just take issue with their focus issues.

Yeah, despite the popup and focus mania, Gaim rocks. :-)

Best regards,

--
Fabio Gomes de Souza <fabio gs2 com br> (+55 81 9127-0597)

.- GS2 TECNOLOGIA DA INFORMACAO LTDA :: www.gs2.com.br
|- IT Infrastructure :: Security :: Embedded systems :: Linux
`- Olinda, Brazil - +55 81 3492-7777 - negocios gs2 com br