gnome menu question

hi:

I have a question on how to create customzied menus. If this is not the correct alias to ask, do you know where should I post the question instead?

In order to create a new launcher in gnome, we need a new .desktop file for it.

To place it on the desktop, I can just put it in ~/.gnome-desktop

But if I want to put it in a customized menu, under the applications pull down menu, is it that I must create the applications.vfolder-info xml file under ~/.gnome2/vfolders, and put the .desktop file under ~/.gnome2/vfolders/applications/?

Is there a way that I don't need to create and parse the xml file? (.vfolder-info) Is there any native gnome API that will do the trick? (similar to IShellLink/IPersistFile on win32 for creating windows shortcut)

thanks,
Thomas