Nautilus: Vital need for xterm in current working directory. Can you help?

In Gnome-2.2 (from RedHat 9) I am stumped. In Nautilus, users can navigate to directories, but have no way to open up xterms for commands when they get there?

Here's why I need this. I've taught my kids to use some shell commands, one of which writes music files onto an audio cd. They fill up a directory with mp3s or ogg, then open an xterm and run the script to convert to audio format and write on cd.

But the whole thing does not work now because
1. Nautilus does not have an "open xterm here" option and
2. Unlike in Gnome-2.0, when you put a script in the Nautilus scripts to open an xterm, it does not open in the current working directory, it always opens in the user's home directory.

Interesting, I admit, that users are able to remember the names of programs to type in and run, but they can't quite understand how to use "cd" to navigate to a particular directory.
--
Paul E. Johnson                       email: pauljohn ukans edu