Re: Linux Problems

On Sat, 2003-05-10 at 12:30, ecmorris interchange ubc ca wrote:
> Can somebody please help me? I just installed red hat 8 but it is running exremely slow. Basically it takes a long time to execute any programs, or even to do anything. I checked to see what processes were running and I found that something called "gnome2-infohtm" was running at 92% cpu. Does anyone know what this is and how I can improve the performance of my machine?
> Thanks, EMorris.

Mate, I just did an installation yesterday - and, from experience, it
doesn't run the same on every machine. Part of the issue is to make sure
that all your paths are straight and included in either your
~/home/username/.bashrc or your /etc/profile - as well, double check,
triple check your /etc/ld.so.conf and rebuild the lib path cache with
ldconfig; then tweak your drive settings in /etc/sysconfig/harddisks;
then make sure you've got the best video driver and the best settings
for your monitor. Disable any services you think you don't need, and
once you've done all that wonderful stuff, double check your networking
setups/configurations in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts and your
/etc/hosts and /etc/resolv.conf - after a nice reboot, manually run
updatedb and then check the overall performance of your machine
again...after all that wonderful stuff, RH8 generally runs quite
nicely...

--
Sat May 10 12:50:00 EST 2003
 12:50:00 up 1 day, 16:54,  2 users,  load average: 0.98, 0.35, 0.12

   Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?
		  -- Calvin