Re: [Fwd: asking]

On Sun, 2003-05-04 at 12:14, Gregory Leblanc wrote:
> From: majalah-afkaar <afkaar_billah telkom net>
> To: mailman-owner gnome org
> Subject: asking
> Date: 04 May 2003 18:56:30 +0700
>
> dear gnome teams, we use linux operating system, and we
> still confused how to add a downloaded program, such a
> games or utilities. as we known in windows operating
> system its use executable file to install a program, like
> *.exe and its run the installation. but we dont know how
> to use the same way in linux. so we need the guidance.
> thank you a lot.

Unfortunately (or fortunately) there are many ways for a program to be
packaged. The best way to get well-known software is through RedHat or
Debian (or whatever you have) packages. These can be downloaded and
installed automatically, or you can manually download packages and
install them.

Some software is only available in .tar.gz format (a "tarball"; really a
gnu-zipped tar archive). Those need to be untared (with tar -zxvf) and
compiled. Given that you are asking this question, I imagine going with
compiled packages (.rpm, .deb, etc.) would be best.

What format is the file you've downloaded? What Linux distribution are
you using?

--Ben