Problems with ksh93 and gnome-terminal

I start gnome with gdm and allow the master gdm process to source all of my .profile/.kshrc/etc scripts. My gnome-terminal normally runs with three open windows.

I find that when I exit gnome, gnome-terminal exits but none of the ksh93 processes exit. They instead get inheirited by init. This means that after several days, I have *lots* of ksh processes hanging around doing nothing.

I do not want to use the login shell option to gnome-terminal as that involves a lot of unnecessary overhead. I think I need gnome-terminal to send HUP to all subshells when it exits. The ksh processes all start up in their own process group, so they do not automatically receive any signals from gnome-terminal.

Does anyone have any insight into gnome-terminal operation, or do I need to go diving into the source?

/Joe