Re: How to add panel applets in GNOME-2?

I'm trying to port a custom applet to GNOME-2. I've got to the state where I have build installed the actual executable along with the bonobo .server, but I'm not able to load the applet. No entry appears on the "Add to panel"-menu, and if I execute the applet "by hand", it will exit immediately without giving any error messages. Exit code is 1.

Questions:
1. What exactly is needed to add entries to applets menu? Is the information in /usr/lib/bonobo enough, or do I need different config files etc.? 2. How do I debug my setup? Can I get bonobo/gnome-panel to tell me what is wrong with the applet or "server" config?
Found out what was wrong at last. Everything failed simply because I had written
                <item value="IDL:Bonobo/GenericFactory:1.0""/>
I'll leave it as an exercise for everyone to spot the error ;-)

There really ought to be some kind of feedback that might help uncover silly mistakes like this, I think.

- Toralf