Re: How does Gnome populate its menus?

On Thu, 2003-06-05 at 12:47, J S wrote:
> I've been using Gnome for a few years, but I recently wanted to learn a
> little bit more about the guts of the system.  One thing I really want o
> fiddle with is the Gnome menus.  Can somebody explain to me how gnome
> populates it's menus?  I understand that there are .desktop files
> describing the menu items and their actions.  What I don't get is how
> gnome decides what directories to check to find these .desktop files.
> Is there a way to make gnome look into a user's home directory for more
> .desktop files?  Is there a nice way to allow each user to customize
> his/her menu structure?  I LOVE GNOME.  I've even been able to convert
> my wife from a Windows environment to Gnome.  But, it sure seems easier
> in Windows to customize a user's menu than it does in Gnome.  That
> really hurts to say that.  Please help me figure out how Gnome does
> this.  Maybe, if I have the time and motivation, I will try to put
> together a little application that allows users to customize the menu
> just as easily as they can in Windows.
>
> Josh

Open Nautlilus and in the URL field type: applications:///

...this will bring up the "root" menu for Gnome and allow you to
add/remove/change some things in there - as well as drag'n'drop some
things onto your desktop - if you so desire...

--
Thu Jun  5 13:15:00 EST 2003
 13:15:00 up 14:08,  4 users,  load average: 0.28, 0.15, 0.10

"For three days after death hair and fingernails continue to grow but
phone calls taper off."
		-- Johnny Carson