Problems with Gnome 2.2: Gnome settings daemon doesn't start

Hello,
with last update of my debian I have installed Gnome 2.2.
However I am now having this trouble when it starts up:
There was an error starting the GNOME Settings Daemon.

Some things, such as themes, sounds, or background settings may not work
correctly.

The Settings Daemon restarted too many times.

The last error message was:

Failed to activate 'OAFIID:GNOME_SettingsDaemon'

GNOME will still try to restart the Settings Daemon next time you log
in.

I have no more neither the applications bar I had on the top of the
screen, nor the one on the bottom.
How can I solve this problem?
Bye,
              Riccardo