Re: migrating from metacity to sawfish

On Thu, 2003-01-23 at 19:26, Stephen Kuhn wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-01-24 at 14:16, John Fleck wrote:
> > On Fri, 2003-01-24 at 11:06, Zeus wrote:
> > > By deafult in Mandrake 9.0 gnome using Metacity,
> > > can i change it to Sawfish?
> >
> > Just kill metacity and start sawfish. At the command line:
> >
> > killall metacity; sawfish &
> >
> > Cheers,
> > John
>
> I keep trying the same thing, but the damn Metacity keeps restarting
> before Sawfish has a chance to run...it's getting more and more annoying

The command described above should work. If Metacity is respawning,
though, open gnome-session-properties; In the "current session" tab,
find Metacity and remove it. That should prevent any respawning.

> that this issue can't just be resolved with an easy fix. I'm almost to
> the point of chucking Gnome2 in the bin and going back to 1.4+ because
> at least I have control over the environment - and don't have so many
> niggling problems - ASIDE from performance issues...

That's too bad. I've found Gnome2 to feel snappier overall (on a PII 366
even). Are there any prticular performance issues you are having?

--Ben