Backing up and restoring panel launchers

I want to start from a clean gnome install except for my launchers,
while trying gnome2.

So, I want to remove all the .gnome and .gconf directories, have Gnome2
reconstruct them and then restore my old panel drawers and launchers.

I tried copying .gnome2/panel2.d/ but that only half worked.

I'm guessing I need something from gconf as well.

Can someone give me a pointer on what to restore?

I've done some googling and trialling but it's not working.

TIA.

--
* Simon Wong *