Re: gnome 2.2.0; glibc-2.3.1 and gnome-session

On Friday 28 February 2003 10:58 am, Jaka Mocnik wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-02-28 at 08:53, Glen Lee Edwards wrote:
> > I just installed gnome 2.2.0. Compiled it all from source on a
> > Debian testing PC which is using glibc-2.2.5.  Everything compiled,
> > but when I tried to run gnome session it errors saying that it
> > needs glibc-2.3.1. So I downloaded and installed it in
> > /usr/local/glibc-2.3.1.
>
> try "export
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/glibc-2.3.1/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH" before
> you run your gnome-session.

When I try that I get the following error:

ls: /lib/ld-linux.so.2: version `GLIBC_PRIVATE' not found (required by
/usr/local/glibc-2.3.1/lib/libc.so.6)

I've done a google search for that error but haven't found anything that
said how to fix it.

> then again - gnome-session doesn't require glibc 2.3. I have it here
> working on woody with glibc 2.2 just fine and I compiled it from
> source. I suppose you had glibc 2.3 lurking somewhere on your system
> already and gnome-session was built against it but can't find it when
> it is run.

I did a dpkg search and used locate to try to find other installed c
libraries.  I didn't find anything newer than glibc 2.2.5.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Glen