Set backdrop/ wallpaper

I use Gnome 2.0 on both Red Hat 8 and Solaris 9. I have written a
little shell script that goes and grabs an image from a webcam and uses
Imagemagick's 'display' utility to put it onto the root of my desktop.
This works great in CDE, I can set my backdrop to 'NoBackdrop' without
a problem. I can't seem to find a way to loose the Gnome backdrop and
use another piece of software to set it. Am I missing anything...

Thanks in advance,

David

=====
Checkout the McWilliams family website @ http://davidmcw.tripod.com/