tt font/xft font not available everywhere

Hi all.   Just got gnome2.2 up with gentoo and it looks and feels
*awsome*.  Huge congrats to all involved.  One thing that is a bit odd
that I thought I'd ask here though.

As I understand it, if you dump fonts to ~/.fonts they automagically
become available to xft2 (gnome2.2) apps.

So I copied a favorite font of mine, SF Grunge Sans into .fonts loaded
up the font prefs app, and it was there!  I set it as my desktop font
and hit apply... and my desktop font changed to the default (I think) of
just plain old sans.

If you hit http://arcterex.net/stuff/ttfont-not-working.png you'll see
what I mean.  The font size works fine, but for whatever reason, it
shows up properly in the font prefs (indicating to me that the font is
loaded and available), but not to the application (nautilus).

Any ideas?  Do I need to restart X or nautilus to get the font available
maybe?

Alan

--
Alan <alan ufies org> - http://arcterex.net
"The only thing that experience teaches us is that experience teaches