Need to disable F1 Shortcut (Help) key

Our 'C' application makes extensive use of the keyboard Fkeys.  Prior to gnome2 everything worked fine.  Now, when we press the F1 key in the application, the gnome HELP window displays, interfering with our application.  Chapter 1.2 of the gnome Users Guide states that the Desktop  Shortcut keys canb be modified by choosing Applications-->Desktop Preferences-->Keyboard Shortcuts, and figure 1.2.1 shows F1 as the default online help key.  However, when we display the live table on our RedHat 8.0 Server, only 4 Desktop shortcut keys are displayed, and none of them are the help key.  How do we disable the F1 key so that our application will run properly again??

Thanks,
Billy