Re: Suggestion for file type detection approach

Olaf Fra;czyk wrote:
On Wed, 2003-12-31 at 00:07, Geoffrey wrote:

Olaf Fra;czyk wrote:

File sniffing does not guarantee it either. Users expect, that the
action (which application is to be run) is determined by file
extension.

If you're born in a windows world, yes. I've never expected a file extension to define a file type. I refer again to your typical system directories: /bin /usr/bin /sbin ...

This is another story (at least partially). We have executable
permission "x" to distinguish if we have an application or data.

You're not addressing the issue. Historically, UNIX based OS's have not relied on extensions for file type indicators. You can not deny this. You can have the executable flag set on any file, that's not an indicator of file type either.

And... most desktop users are Windows users.

So you want to proliferate a lousy solution because that's what the user is used to? Is that the way we want to operate? Should all Open Source and free software now emulate Microsoft solutions?

The mime-type idea is a terrible thing for a normal user.
They simply don't understand it.

Stupid users does not make a solution incorrect. That's based on your definition of a normal user, which apparently excludes most knowledgable users.

If 99% users are stupid, then normal user is a stupid user. And this is
the reality.

Who said 99% users are stupid? That's a pretty brash statement, but also very wrong. There's a huge difference between stupid and ignorant.

And if a solution is not understood by 99% people who need to use it,
then the solution is incorrect.

You educate people, you don't continue to reinforce ignorance. Why bother doing anything if you want to reinforce the wrong solutions because "that's all they know?" If you want to continue using the same solutions everyone is used to, regardless of whether they are a better solution, your job is complete, it's called Windows XP.

I don't believe one solution or the other will please a majority of users. Relying on file extension has gotten windows into a lot of trouble. I prefer both solutions be offered and then let the user choose, speed and insecurity or accuracy and security..

Here I agree with you. (about the ability to choose). But I don't see any security problem here. The only thing that I could
suspect is hiding of extension in Windows. But it doesn't mean that
using extensions is dangerous. Only hiding them is dangerous.

Assuming a file is a particular type based on it's extension is a security issue.

--
Until later, Geoffrey	esoteric 3times25 net