Re: FUD about security and file extensions (was Re: Why file content sniffing sucks)

On Fri, 2003-12-26 at 03:29, Fabio Gomes wrote:
> > A file type is not determined by it's extension.  The
> > detection-by-extension ethos is a _hack_.
>
> Not a hack. IMHO, it's a matter of accuracy. Suffix matching is subject
> to return wrong results on invalid input, while content sniffing is
> subject to return wrong results on _valid_ input.
>
> This is exactly what I am pointing out at
> http://lists.gnome.org/archives/nautilus-list/2003-December/msg00264.html
>
> A user can fix a badly-named file, but cannot fix a bug in VFS magic.

There are a handful of examples of content sniffing being wrong, and
these are bugs.  It sounds like you have a problem mainly with the speed
of bug fixing.

> Not true. The origin of these vulnerabilities are not the fact of user
> visually identifiyng the files as images. The problem is what I've said
> above:
>
> 1. Windows hides the .exe
> 2. Even if windows does not have the .exe, the users are able to execute
> attached programs.

So you're advocating that all users know what .exe means.  Oh, and .pl,
.py, .sh, etc etc.  Yes, that's really a solution... not.

Or are you advocating that we kill email functionality by disallowing
the manual opening of attachments to protect the user?

- Charlie

--
Charles Goodwin <charlie xwt org>
Member of the XWT Foundation